
Original Post Date: Sunday October 11, 2009
Learn&Serve
Week 3
I arrived at Niagara Falls Alternative High School to find Mr. Castiglione dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, he smiled and said "Today, we're going on a field trip." Exciting I thought and he informed me that we were going on a dig in a privy that the science teacher created. He then apologized to me because he forgot to tell me last week. I would not have wore dress clothes if I knew we were digging so I was a little disappointed. However, I did had flip-flops in my bag and traded my heels for those, smart move.
The dig was held just around the corner from the school where an old hotel used to stand. There were two giant holes in the ground and all the kids were deep in there digging. The other teachers from the school we're also there so this gave me a chance to get to know them and build relationships. The kids were having so much fun, the bottles they dug up were amazing, some still fully intact. You could see that they preferred this over the classroom any day.
The field trip worked their science, english, and social studies skills. I'm not sure how math was involved but I'm sure somehow it was. The history aspect was that they were uncovering artifacts from the ground and learning about the history of Niagara Falls. Once the artifacts were cleaned, which would be done in science class the students would research the artifact they found and write about it in english class. It was truly an educational field trip and far better then learning in the classroom.
I arrived at Niagara Falls Alternative High School to find Mr. Castiglione dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, he smiled and said "Today, we're going on a field trip." Exciting I thought and he informed me that we were going on a dig in a privy that the science teacher created. He then apologized to me because he forgot to tell me last week. I would not have wore dress clothes if I knew we were digging so I was a little disappointed. However, I did had flip-flops in my bag and traded my heels for those, smart move.
The dig was held just around the corner from the school where an old hotel used to stand. There were two giant holes in the ground and all the kids were deep in there digging. The other teachers from the school we're also there so this gave me a chance to get to know them and build relationships. The kids were having so much fun, the bottles they dug up were amazing, some still fully intact. You could see that they preferred this over the classroom any day.
The field trip worked their science, english, and social studies skills. I'm not sure how math was involved but I'm sure somehow it was. The history aspect was that they were uncovering artifacts from the ground and learning about the history of Niagara Falls. Once the artifacts were cleaned, which would be done in science class the students would research the artifact they found and write about it in english class. It was truly an educational field trip and far better then learning in the classroom.
If going on a field trip isn't available another adaption from the traditional siting and lecturing which does not work for these children is using some sort of technology. "A computer can be especially useful learning tool for a student with a behavior disorder because it provides an objective, neutral response to the child's sometimes provoking or challenging behavior." (Page: 210) By having the students look up information on the computer or create a power point of some sort you are involving the child in the educating process. They have the option to find the material as it suits them and teach their peers. As good of a theory I believe this to be I do not think it would work in Niagara Falls Alternative. I don't think it would actually ever get completed, but it is worth a shot.
The kids found a piece of a piano in one of the holes. It was unbelievable. For the next hour they were determined to get another part of the piano and sure enough they did. These kids worked together and helped each other out. it was a complete turn around from last week when they were calling each other fat and stupid. Another student found a piece of a hand gun. he informed me that it was a 22 something or another I just agreed with him, I had no idea.
Channel 2,4, and 7 came to film the kids digging, the Buffalo News came as well. I'll scan the pictures that were in the paper when I get back to school. The kids loved this. They got to be interviewed and these students already love attention so it was nice to get them a more positive form. They really changed their attitudes when the camera were on them. You could see that they understand their attitudes when the rest of the world would be watching them. Every single one of them is a good student, just misunderstood and need a different environment to learn. Oh, and the channel 4 guy filmed me doing the '4' sign, yeah I'm famous now.
I thought a lot about what we discussed in class that teachers need to change the way they teach because students are getting bored with the same methods we were taught in. This field trip was a perfect example of how changing the way we teach can help students learn more. Especially with students who need that extra push just like my students. It's ironic how much of a live lesson I received. I wish that I could have gotten dirtier and deep in the hole with them, Mr. Castiglione promised that next time he'd remember to call me. He felt so bad. This school is brilliant, these kids and myself are learning so much more then they would ever learn from a textbook. We are all learning how to communicate with different types of people in and outside the classroom which is not something you are usually taught in a normal high school setting.
The kids found a piece of a piano in one of the holes. It was unbelievable. For the next hour they were determined to get another part of the piano and sure enough they did. These kids worked together and helped each other out. it was a complete turn around from last week when they were calling each other fat and stupid. Another student found a piece of a hand gun. he informed me that it was a 22 something or another I just agreed with him, I had no idea.
Channel 2,4, and 7 came to film the kids digging, the Buffalo News came as well. I'll scan the pictures that were in the paper when I get back to school. The kids loved this. They got to be interviewed and these students already love attention so it was nice to get them a more positive form. They really changed their attitudes when the camera were on them. You could see that they understand their attitudes when the rest of the world would be watching them. Every single one of them is a good student, just misunderstood and need a different environment to learn. Oh, and the channel 4 guy filmed me doing the '4' sign, yeah I'm famous now.
I thought a lot about what we discussed in class that teachers need to change the way they teach because students are getting bored with the same methods we were taught in. This field trip was a perfect example of how changing the way we teach can help students learn more. Especially with students who need that extra push just like my students. It's ironic how much of a live lesson I received. I wish that I could have gotten dirtier and deep in the hole with them, Mr. Castiglione promised that next time he'd remember to call me. He felt so bad. This school is brilliant, these kids and myself are learning so much more then they would ever learn from a textbook. We are all learning how to communicate with different types of people in and outside the classroom which is not something you are usually taught in a normal high school setting.
Obama has a plan for education and changing the system and this activity made me think of his plan. In his plan "Education to Innovate" Obama discusses different ways to get the students learning in other ways then just sitting in the classroom.
Hours Completed : 2
Kirk S. , Gallagher J.J. , Coleman M.R. , & Anastasiow N. (2009).Educating Exceptional Children (12th ed.). Boston, NY: Houghton Mifflin Company.
Jerilyn Manzella said...
ReplyDeleteI forgot to mention that I'll have pictures of this up soon. The scence teacher gave me his camera, it was a really nice one and I had a hay-day with it. He's getting me the pictures next week.
What a nice reflection. Great job.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you are with Mr. C.
Flip flops in your bag... now that's resourceful!
The field trip sounded like a blast! I agree with changing up the learning environments to keep the students interested and field trips are definitely a good way to teach in a new environment.
ReplyDelete