
Original Post Date: Wednesday October 7, 2009Learn&Serve"The notion of educating every child to achieve his or her greatest potential is a relatively new idea." (Page: 37) As I've learned, this includes even those children who want to yell and scream and fight until they get their way.
WEEK 1
Niagara Falls Alternative, what's your immediate thought? MIne, was fear. I was to be placed in Niagara Falls Alternative High school grades 7,8,9,10,11,12 and I've heard horror stories about the school! People saying oh you're going to get stabbed those kids fight all the time, make sure you aren't left in the room.
Education was cancelled that day so I had plenty of time to prepare myself for Learn and Serve. I got picked up and the driver asked me where I was headed and when I told him he chuckled and said, "Have fun, I've heard crazy stories about that place." Nervousness wafted over me again, "Awesome," I thought.
Niagara Falls Alternative is extremely small. There are teachers for the core subjects math, english, science, and history. When I approached the office nobody was in there and I called out hello and nobody answered. An african american boy turned the corner and asked who I was looking for and I replied anyone and he yelled out a name and an office lady appeared. She was by far the nicest secretary I have ever met. At my past two Learn And Serves they had all been so nasty. She actually asked my name, my major and had a real conversation with me. I felt like she was treating me like a an adult, like a teacher coming to work.
It turns out the classroom I was in was right across from the office, i knocked and went in. Mr. Castiglione was in the room conversing with two students, a boy and a girl. He said it was the 9th grade. It was definitely strange being in a classroom with only two students.
I was only with them for 5 minutes and everyone was just chatting because the work for the day had been finished. After they left Mr. Castiglione and I got acquainted. He explained how the school works, the surrounding schools buy slots and when a student is acting up and is to much to handle in a regular school setting they get sent over to the alternative school until they are better behaved. He told me that the school didn't have many students yet because the year was just starting. He told me not to be alarmed by anything the students said and it was better to just joke around with them because honestly there is not very many ways to change them you just need to help them get back into the school system though. He said he has a pretty good ear and if something is past the line then he'd step in and if I'm offended in anyway to immediately tell him. He also told me that I had nothing to worry about, the most that will happen is loud outbursts. He truly did ease my fears. He also told me that I am more then welcome to teach a lesson, so I've got to get to work on planning something. As the website preaches Niagara Falls Alternative is not only for the students that get kicked out of the surrounding schools. According to the website Niagara Falls Alternative is, "For both special and alternative education students." Mr. Castiglione told me that most of these students were sent here because of outburst in previous classrooms and mostly due to the fact they do not know how to act in the classroom. The homes and environment that many of these children have grown up in are very unfortunate. According to the text, "Parents and professionals looking for the reasons that some children have externalizing disorders need to examine an array of potential influences that include the individual's biological makeup and cognitive ability, along with family factors and his or her relationship to society. (Page:191) Basically saying that genetics is a partial cause for behavior issues, but your environment can strongly impact them. Although I am making an assumption I think that due to the environment these children are raised in strong increase the behavior issues they have.
The 10th grade class was the biggest class of the 2 1/2 I'm in (I say half because I come into a class). There is roughly 7 students and they were working on drawing a comic strip about mummification. I walked around and tried to help the kids stay focused but it was really difficult, they get off topic constantly. They all seemed to get their work done.
The final class I'm in is the 8th grade, there is one student. He refused to introduce himself to me and always had a comeback when Mr. Castiglione was talking to him. Mr. Castiglione however also had a comeback. The student did one worksheet and was finished for the day, Mr. Castiglione informed me that it was because it is hard to teach a full lesson with one student and once they start filling in things would change.
I truly regret my assumption of that school and those students. I absolutely love it and if I could I'd be willing to do my TA there, I feel that way I's truly be making a difference.
Niagara Falls Alternative, what's your immediate thought? MIne, was fear. I was to be placed in Niagara Falls Alternative High school grades 7,8,9,10,11,12 and I've heard horror stories about the school! People saying oh you're going to get stabbed those kids fight all the time, make sure you aren't left in the room.
Education was cancelled that day so I had plenty of time to prepare myself for Learn and Serve. I got picked up and the driver asked me where I was headed and when I told him he chuckled and said, "Have fun, I've heard crazy stories about that place." Nervousness wafted over me again, "Awesome," I thought.
Niagara Falls Alternative is extremely small. There are teachers for the core subjects math, english, science, and history. When I approached the office nobody was in there and I called out hello and nobody answered. An african american boy turned the corner and asked who I was looking for and I replied anyone and he yelled out a name and an office lady appeared. She was by far the nicest secretary I have ever met. At my past two Learn And Serves they had all been so nasty. She actually asked my name, my major and had a real conversation with me. I felt like she was treating me like a an adult, like a teacher coming to work.
It turns out the classroom I was in was right across from the office, i knocked and went in. Mr. Castiglione was in the room conversing with two students, a boy and a girl. He said it was the 9th grade. It was definitely strange being in a classroom with only two students.
I was only with them for 5 minutes and everyone was just chatting because the work for the day had been finished. After they left Mr. Castiglione and I got acquainted. He explained how the school works, the surrounding schools buy slots and when a student is acting up and is to much to handle in a regular school setting they get sent over to the alternative school until they are better behaved. He told me that the school didn't have many students yet because the year was just starting. He told me not to be alarmed by anything the students said and it was better to just joke around with them because honestly there is not very many ways to change them you just need to help them get back into the school system though. He said he has a pretty good ear and if something is past the line then he'd step in and if I'm offended in anyway to immediately tell him. He also told me that I had nothing to worry about, the most that will happen is loud outbursts. He truly did ease my fears. He also told me that I am more then welcome to teach a lesson, so I've got to get to work on planning something. As the website preaches Niagara Falls Alternative is not only for the students that get kicked out of the surrounding schools. According to the website Niagara Falls Alternative is, "For both special and alternative education students." Mr. Castiglione told me that most of these students were sent here because of outburst in previous classrooms and mostly due to the fact they do not know how to act in the classroom. The homes and environment that many of these children have grown up in are very unfortunate. According to the text, "Parents and professionals looking for the reasons that some children have externalizing disorders need to examine an array of potential influences that include the individual's biological makeup and cognitive ability, along with family factors and his or her relationship to society. (Page:191) Basically saying that genetics is a partial cause for behavior issues, but your environment can strongly impact them. Although I am making an assumption I think that due to the environment these children are raised in strong increase the behavior issues they have.
The 10th grade class was the biggest class of the 2 1/2 I'm in (I say half because I come into a class). There is roughly 7 students and they were working on drawing a comic strip about mummification. I walked around and tried to help the kids stay focused but it was really difficult, they get off topic constantly. They all seemed to get their work done.
The final class I'm in is the 8th grade, there is one student. He refused to introduce himself to me and always had a comeback when Mr. Castiglione was talking to him. Mr. Castiglione however also had a comeback. The student did one worksheet and was finished for the day, Mr. Castiglione informed me that it was because it is hard to teach a full lesson with one student and once they start filling in things would change.
I truly regret my assumption of that school and those students. I absolutely love it and if I could I'd be willing to do my TA there, I feel that way I's truly be making a difference.
Hours Completed: 2
WEEK 2
Since when I came in the two 9th graders were already finished with their work I just joined in the conversation and made myself seem likable and understanding and almost like a friend but still with the authority aspect.
Usually we have a break between the 9th graders and the 10th graders but instead the one 8th grader came in, he missed the day before or something. He was assigned to read a newspaper article and answer a few questions on it. After a minute he instantly said "I don't want to do this." Mr. Castiglione ignored him, but looked up and gave him that look. I walked over and decided to work with him, why not right? He was extremely difficult to work with. he was impatient said he just didn't get it when I knew it was because he didn't even glance at the article. I read it over fast and had him read to me parts that could answer the questions. The text refrences this behavior in students. The text argues that when it comes to behavioral issues. They question if the bad grades in school add to their behavioral issue. The text argues that although it is an interesting idea the evidence does not support it. (Page: 192) The text says that the aggressive behavior that gets these students in trouble is observable before they enter school. I'll have to learn more about teaching children who don't like to be taught without actually giving them the answers. it is extremely frustrating.
The 10th graders had a test and their strategies were so strange. They were allowed to talk during the test! It was interesting they would carry on conversations, however they never mentioned questions about the test. They know that's not allowed and they also just don't like to be quiet it seems. Two of the students raised their voices at each other calling one fat, the other ugly. Mr. Castiglione just told them they need to settle down.
The 8th grader came back for his regularly scheduled class and we worked on a worksheet together reading allowed from the text book. Then the three of us sat down and Mr. Castiglione had him talk about the article we read which led to a lesson on the branches of government.
Mr. Castiglione is really good with the students. He's rather young maybe early 30s and the students respect him as a big brother type it seems. Mr. Castiglione tells me yelling doesn't work with these kids because they aren't scared of you. They've been through more then either one of us will see in our lives and they are only 15 years old. He says to get through them you need to let them trust you, because then they will respect you.
WEEK 2
Since when I came in the two 9th graders were already finished with their work I just joined in the conversation and made myself seem likable and understanding and almost like a friend but still with the authority aspect.
Usually we have a break between the 9th graders and the 10th graders but instead the one 8th grader came in, he missed the day before or something. He was assigned to read a newspaper article and answer a few questions on it. After a minute he instantly said "I don't want to do this." Mr. Castiglione ignored him, but looked up and gave him that look. I walked over and decided to work with him, why not right? He was extremely difficult to work with. he was impatient said he just didn't get it when I knew it was because he didn't even glance at the article. I read it over fast and had him read to me parts that could answer the questions. The text refrences this behavior in students. The text argues that when it comes to behavioral issues. They question if the bad grades in school add to their behavioral issue. The text argues that although it is an interesting idea the evidence does not support it. (Page: 192) The text says that the aggressive behavior that gets these students in trouble is observable before they enter school. I'll have to learn more about teaching children who don't like to be taught without actually giving them the answers. it is extremely frustrating.
The 10th graders had a test and their strategies were so strange. They were allowed to talk during the test! It was interesting they would carry on conversations, however they never mentioned questions about the test. They know that's not allowed and they also just don't like to be quiet it seems. Two of the students raised their voices at each other calling one fat, the other ugly. Mr. Castiglione just told them they need to settle down.
The 8th grader came back for his regularly scheduled class and we worked on a worksheet together reading allowed from the text book. Then the three of us sat down and Mr. Castiglione had him talk about the article we read which led to a lesson on the branches of government.
Mr. Castiglione is really good with the students. He's rather young maybe early 30s and the students respect him as a big brother type it seems. Mr. Castiglione tells me yelling doesn't work with these kids because they aren't scared of you. They've been through more then either one of us will see in our lives and they are only 15 years old. He says to get through them you need to let them trust you, because then they will respect you.
Hours Completed : 2
Kirk S. , Gallagher J.J. , Coleman M.R. , & Anastasiow N. (2009).Educating Exceptional Children (12th ed.). Boston, NY: Houghton Mifflin Company.
Shelley McLaughlin said...
ReplyDeleteI think your level of reflection is authentic and your observations are extremely perceptive. Bravo.
It was a pleasure to read your thoughts/ideas/misguided and reversed assumptions.
I never would have thought of that school in the same way you do. It was very insightful and I hope to be placed there at some point.
ReplyDelete