Including Students with Physical Disabilities
In my high school we had a few students with physical disabilities that participated in the school day with us. They were a part of the lecture, a part of the group work, and a part of the tests. They did have an aid that came around with them for help when the student needed them and were typically with them all day and through their high school career. It is typical, as shown by Kelleher and my experiences in high school, that it is the teacher that creates the lesson plans where as the aid helps the student in a more one on one fashion. However, when I take my role as a teacher I want to be more involved with the aid and the student with the physical disability to know what I could do in order to make things easier for them.
2. What skills does elementary classroom aid Danielle Doucette bring to her work with MaryAnne, the child who has spinal bifida? How does Danielle take MaryAnne's academic and social/emotional development into account when planning activities?
Danielle Doucette has a strong knowledge of the different technologies out there today to assist children with disabilities. In order to make MaryAnne's learning environment easier she has MaryAnne use these different devices in the classroom. For classroom work she has MaryAnne use a wheelchair so she can easily move around the classroom and she is in the same position as here peers. When it comes to art she has MaryAnn uses standers so she is at the same level as peers. Danielle also makes sure that MaryAnne's feelings aren't hurt and creates activities that she can be involved in.
3. What questions has this video raised in your mind about your own familiarity with adaptive technologies for children? How can you take action on Lisa's suggestion that teachers familiarize themselves with how the equipment work (e.g., an electronic wheelchair) even before you have your own classroom?
The only question that I can think of in terms of assistive technologies is: What will they be like when I'm a teacher? I know that they have electric wheelchairs, even ones that raise to help an individual stand upright (I saw one on the television show Private Practice). When I'm a teacher looking up these new advances will benefit myself and my students tremendously and also noting the advances that are occurring now will help in my preparation.
4. In the bonus video, "Encouraging Social Interactions in an Inclusion Classroom," Lisa explains how she makes sure that all students have opportunities to play together, typically through music or art. Can you think of any activities you've used successfully to engage a full range of learners? If not, what types of activities do you plan to add to your repertoire?
Creating a mural in art class was always so much fun. You did not necessarily have to be good at art or anything but you got a chance to just fool around with paint. This activity is something anyone can do because all you have to do is paint a line and you've done your part. It's a simple way to express yourself. In terms of using this activity in a history class creating a group time line using both words and pictures allows everyone to have an equal opportunity to participate.
5. The classroom artifact entitled, "MaryAnne's Schedule" blocks out MaryAnne's schedule for the day in words and illustrations. How could a chart like this be used more generally to help students with other types of learning challenges (such as ADHD)? Explain.
This formation provides a different type of structure. Sometimes students with ADHD get distracted and cannot sit and read a long laundry list of things they have to do. By adding images you are switching up the pattern in hopes this will make it so distractions are avoided.
Assistive Technology in the Inclusive Classroom: Best Practices
1. Kindergarten teacher Tony Byers describes his responsibility to teach Jamie, a girl in his classroom who has cerebral palsy, so that she can feel like an equal participant. Have you had experience in working with children who are physically challenged? If not, how can you gain experience before you have your own classroom?
I have not yet in my placement have experienced working with children who are physically challenged. I'm enrolled in a Special Olympics coarse next semester and I'm not sure if it involves children with physical disabilities but if it is, then there is one way to gain experience. After school programs are also a possibility, and even returning to my old high school over a break to work with students who have physical disabilities is an option.
2. Inclusion facilitator Sara Woodruff is an advocate for assistive technologies. She explains that there are many to help children access their voices and their minds the best they can. What assistive technologies -- either high tech or low tech -- have you seen or read about? How and when would you be likely to incorporate them into your teaching?
Communication boards are popular for students who have difficulty communicating. It allows them to explain their thoughts so they do not get frustrated while trying to explain themselves. Wheelchairs are used to help students who are otherwise immobile move around the classroom and participate in activities.
3. As you watch Jamie complete an activity using a speech output device what do you notice about the way Sara interacts with her? What can you learn from Sara's approach in general, and the way she describes her goals for Jamie?
Sara was patient and helped Jamie complete the activity on her own. She did not take everything into her own hands and just do the work herself, she gave Jamie the chance to get things done herself no matter how long it took. It would be important to take Sara aside and praise her for the good job she did that day because everyones confidence should be boosted when they do something correctly.
4. According to Tony, having Jamie use assistive technologies " help show the others children that there is a wide range of communication capabilities in our population as a whole. Children are shown an alternative way of communicating that is different rather than better or worse." What questions about your own understanding of the potential of assistive technologies has this video raised?
The way we have seen advancements in something we take completely for granted like a telephone have advanced tremendously over the past few years. Assistive technologies will continue to advance and become more affordable and available to individuals and families who are in need of them. However, we don't want the technology to become so advanced that the students aren't doing their work for them. We want the technology to help them, not do everything for them.
5. In the bonus video entitled "adapting the curriculum: Mr. Byers' view," Tony describes the tension he feels between teaching spontaneously and the need to slow down and adapt every lesson for all students. Can you think of any experiences you've had that have created a similar tension? Explain your answer.
I have a hard time meeting new people and being able to start conversation. I would really love it if there was a way that I could have some background knowledge on people before I actually met them. I know that's close to impossible but as a high school teacher I will have access to records and the opinions of other teachers, so in some way that's background knowledge. I'm a people person, it's just when they are my age or older I become nervous. This is just a recent development, I've never actually been this way so I'm hoping maybe it'll go away.
Kirk, S., Gallagher, J., Coleman, M., Anastaslow, N. (2009). Educating Exceptional Children (12th ed.). Kentucky: Cengage Learning. Retrieved October 22, 2009, from http://college.cengage.com/education/kirk/educating/12e/resources/video_cases.html
No comments:
Post a Comment